This guide is the most comprehensive online guide to ecommerce SEO. In this well-written guide, you’ll learn what you need to know about ecommerce SEO, from keyword research to content marketing to local SEO as well as google my business for ecommerce retailers. So if your aim is to get more targeted traffic and sales from search, then this guide is for you.
Let’s dive in.
Why SEO for Your Ecommerce Site
Let’s consider some interesting stats…
- According to a SaaS software “Channel”, 44% of internet users start their online shopping journey with a Google search.
- Research from SEMrush has it that “37.5% of all traffic to ecommerce websites comes from search engines”.
- And based on Backlinko, “23.6% of ecommerce orders are directly tied to organic traffic”.
Let’s jump into the strategies.
Table of Content
- Chapter 1: Reasons for Ecommerce SEO
- Chapter 2: Keyword Research for Ecommerce
- Chapter 3: Content Marketing for Ecommerce
- Chapter 4: Local SEO for Ecommerce Retailers
Reasons for Ecommerce SEO
- It’s Important For Helping Your Customers Find You: An ecommerce website without SEO is leaving plenty of cash on the table. The evolution of technology over the years has transformed the way customers purchase products online. And from the statistics above, search is now an important part of the decision-making process, with online users using search engines to inform their decision to buy or not. Ignoring SEO means you’re risking not being visible in your targeted customer’s buying journey. And when you don’t show up on search results, fewer customers will know about you. That means you’ll sell less, and your business growth is stunted. While this is happening your competitors will increase their sales and profits. Why? Simple! You allowed them to grow stronger.
- Cost-Effective Way To Grow Your Business: In a highly competitive market, paying for traffic can run to a lot of dollars per click. Probably you’ll be forced to buy costly banner ads. But with effective SEO, you’ll be less dependent on this traffic. And of course, you’ll still need to buy ads to create awareness for your ecommerce website and sales. If you’re on a tight budget, SEO can be a lifesaver that will keep sales and profit flowing. Successful ecommerce websites have a unique mindset, their approach, preparation, and planning are quite different. In their marketing strategy, they integrate SEO into all their activities like content marketing and social media marketing, and this will be headed by experienced ecommerce SEO agencies.
- Its Effects are Long-Lasting and Great Investment to Do: The effects of a solid SEO strategy are clear. When compared to most types of marketing, where every year you start with a clean slate. SEO strategy is what you do that builds upon itself to grow stronger with time. It means laying upon what you did the previous time and it keeps growing until you’re able to dominate the market.
Keyword Research for Ecommerce
Why is keyword research the foundation of every ecommerce SEO campaign? Simple! You’re aware of every other SEO-related task you do on your site. And without keywords, your product and category pages won’t be optimized. The truth is keyword research is very important for your ecommerce website if you want to generate more sales. And here’s exactly how to find phrases your customers are searching for and how to choose the best for your website.
Ways of Finding Keywords For Ecommerce Product and Category Pages
Informational keywords are keywords people type into search engines to find helpful “how-to” content. You must understand that most of your website’s keywords will be around product searches. E.g. “Laptop for software development.” You need to tackle your keyword research with product-focused keywords.
Here’s how you can do it.
- Amazon Suggest – Amazon is the biggest ecommerce site online which makes product keyword research a lot easier.
Steps of tapping into Amazon for keyword research:
- Go to Amazon and enter a keyword that clearly describes one of your products.
- Amazon will bring out a list of suggestions around the keyword.
- The keywords that will be suggested by Amazon will be very targeted, they’re also known as long-tail keywords. Long-tail keywords convert better than short-tail keywords, but they’re less competitive as well.
- SEMrush – SEMrush, as a keyword tool, doesn’t generate new ideas based on seed keywords. Instead, you’re shown the keywords that your competitors are ranking for.
How to use this tool to find keywords for your ecommerce website:
- On SEMrush’s search field enter a competitor.
- In the sidebar, click on “Organic Research”.
- Under “Positions” you’ll see all keywords that your competitor is ranking for.
- To get every keyword out of SEMrush, check the “competitors” report.
- With the “competitors” report, SEMrush shows you websites that are similar to the one you’re looking at.
- Keyword Tool Dominator – This keyword tool will help to scrape Amazon’s search suggestions.
- Just enter your keyword into the tool.
- Dozens of keyword suggestions will spit out.
- With this tool, long-tail keywords from Amazon are made faster giving you more keyword ideas.
- Wikipedia – Yeah, Wikipedia is a great place to find keywords for your product and category pages. I know you’re surprised, right? Wikipedia has done the work by organizing things by keywords and categories, just the way your competitors have done on their websites.
How to use Wikipedia for your ecommerce keyword research:
- Enter a keyword describing a product your website sells.
- Take your time and scan Wikipedia entries for phrases or words that make sense for the products on your site. Also, look at the contents box. They can reveal excellent category page keywords as well.
Still confused on how to research for keywords, then you can get the assistance from an ecommerce SEO agency like Deyo Digital.
How Do You Choose Keywords for Your Product and Category Pages
Now you have gotten a list of potential keywords and probably you’re wondering which one should I choose? Use this 4-step to know the one to choose.
- Search Volume – The most important metric when evaluating a search term is the search volume. If no one is searching for the keyword, it doesn’t matter how competitive Google’s first page is, it’s left for you to choose one that has a reasonable search volume.
- Suitable Keyword Product – Having a keyword that gets tons of searches. It doesn’t mean that you have found a gold mine. Why? Because the keyword may not be a perfect fit for what your website sells. And if people are not searching with the exact word it will be difficult to get any sales because it’s not converting. This means before moving onto the next two stages in this process, double-check the keyword to know if it fits your site.
- Commercial Intent – Before deciding on a keyword, take time to see if people using that keyword are people that have the cash. And this is easy to do using the Google Keyword Planner. First, check the keyword’s “Competition” rating. “Competition” shows how many people bidding on the keyword in Google Ads. Generally, if many are bidding on a keyword, then know there’s money to be made. That’s why you need to stick with “medium” and “high” competition keywords. The “Top of Page Bid” shows you how much people tend to spend on a single click in Google Ads. And when it comes to utilizing the commercial intent, the higher the suggested bid, the better.
- Competition – You need to know how hard it’ll be to crack Google’s first page.
Use SEMrush’s “Keyword Difficulty”: With this metric, you have an idea of how competitive a given keyword can be to rank for. To find a keyword’s difficulty in SEMrush, enter a keyword into the search field and look at the “Overview” section. The higher the number, the harder it is to rank for the keyword in Google.
Content Marketing for Ecommerce
With content marketing, you can get a lot of targeted traffic and sales for your ecommerce website. How can content be used to get higher rankings and traffic to your ecommerce website? Content marketing does not only increase your traffic but it ultimately increases your sales. Also, it makes it easier for you to build links to your website and increase your domain authority as well. Trust me it’s easier for you to build links to high-quality blog content over a product or category page.
Let’s look at how to achieve this.
- Find Where Your Customers Hang Out Online: This gives you in-depth insight into their pains, thoughts, fears, and desires. With this information, you will be able to create content that speaks to them and their needs. For instance, your target audience can be in places like Reddit, Quora, Nairaland etc. One of the ecommerce SEO agencies like Deyo Digital can do this effectively and efficiently for your company.
- Learn the Words and Phrases Your Customers Use: You now know where your target audience hangs out online. It’s time you tail- gate them (do not send spam messages) because you might be blocked out of the platform. What I mean is for you to keep an eye for words and phrases they use to describe their problems and desires. Those phrases are keywords your audience uses when they are not shopping for products. They are great keywords you are to use while creating blog content.
- Create a Great Piece of Content Around the Keyword: Time for you to create a piece of content that’s the absolute best on the planet. Publishing content consistently on your ecommerce website will bring about links, traffic, and social media shares that will help your product and category pages rank better.
Local SEO – Google My Business for Ecommerce Retailers
This only applies to ecommerce businesses that have a physical store or you want more local website traffic. Then you need a local SEO for a nice boost. It also increases foot traffic to your store through search on google my business directory.
What do you do?
- Get a Google My Business Profile: This Google feature allows you to put the details of your business into Google’s database. However, this does a few things, but majorly it allows your business to show up in local search results. It’s left for you to show your website information, address, hours of operation, reviews, and more. But to show up in local results, you’ll need some local citations done by an SEO specialist.
- Build local citations: This simply means backlinks from other local websites, like news outlets, press releases, and other local media in your country or territory. You need citations for your business because it shows Google how popular you are in your area. Also, this works with international SEO. If you want your website to rank higher in another country’s search results, you’ll need more links from the country’s local business directories’ websites.
Hope you got value from this guide and I would like to hear from you.
Ecommerce SEO is vital for your business growth. At Deyo Digital, we are an ecommerce SEO agency that can help you to identify areas of improvement through a comprehensive audit report and then implement on the right SEO strategy that is tailored suit for your business. We go ahead on crawling your site on Google and carry out a keyword research for the optimization of product pages, landing pages, and content pages. Our team of SEO specialist, content writers, PPC expert will ease your stress in no time.
Social media marketing involves making use of social media platforms to create awareness for, or to advertise your products or service.
Social marketing is an approach used by companies to inform potential clients of the quality of the products or services that are being offered. It requires implementing deliberate marketing actions to analyze the needs of target customers and taking necessary steps to reach them.
By developing social media marketing strategy for your company, the following will be made possible:
- Increase in visibility: By publishing content regularly, you attract the attention of your audience thereby leading to expansion and constant visibility of your social profile or page.
- Building of recognition, trust and credibility: The presence of your company on social networks creates recognition, builds trust and also confirms the ability to respond and settle customers’ issues effectively.
- Improvement in communication with customers: By publishing engaging content, customers are drawn to like, comment and share such content which serves as an effective communication channel.
- In- depth knowledge of prospects: The information collected through customers engagement or follow-up on your content makes it possible to refine your knowledge on their needs and therefore of your offer.
- Reduction in cost of marketing: Social media strategy is organic which means it does not involve making use of an advertising campaign. Market cost is reduced by using this strategy and it will lead to profitability in the long run.
Also, as a company using a specific social media platform, it is advisable to focus on the following interests:
- Creating a channel of communication between your customers and other prospects.
- Personalizing your brand or product so customers can connect more with the service you are offering.
- Publishing relevant and engaging content.
- Offering valuable service or products so as to keep customers happy and contented and to identify that your business values customers’ satisfaction.
- Getting referrals and recommendations from clients to other clients.
- Directing traffic to your company’s website and blog
Deciding on the right social channel to use is extremely important. There are two important questions you must ask yourself: “Where are my customers?” And “Where are my competitors?”
Also, you need to consider questions such as what your business is centered on, “Is your business active in B2B?” then create a presence on LinkedIn and publish content that attracts a professional audience or “Is your business active in B2C?” Then create a social presence on Facebook or Instagram and publish engaging content that will attract potential customers.
Answering the following questions enables you to choose the right social network and to plan your strategy with a specific aim for each channel.
Engaging in social media marketing has gradually become a necessity for all kinds of businesses and organizations because it gives the business access to a larger target audience through free or paid advertising. Getting a large audience organically requires patience which is why most businesses opt for paid advertising in order to reach a larger audience faster and to also prompt quick response.
As a business owner or entrepreneur interested in running ads on social media channels like Facebook, Instagram, twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. It is essential that you read to the end of this article so as to learn how to create ads on social media platforms.
HOW TO RUN SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
Facebook is the most widely used social media platform in the world thanks to its (2.85 billion active users – Omnicore, June 2021). So advertising with this channel automatically creates access to a large pool of potential customers.
The following steps explains how to create ads on Facebook:
- Create a Facebook page and a Business Manager account: Business Manager is a section where Facebook ad accounts, pages, and all the other tools you need to manage your ads are located. Once the Business Manager account has been created, link the account with your Facebook page.
- Install the Facebook pixel: Without the Facebook pixel, it’s impossible to know if the ads have generated sales on your site. The pixel is a tracking code created from your Business Manager account that allows you to know all the actions carried out on your site by visitors who have clicked on your ads and also notes the advertising content generates the most conversions.
- Create Facebook Audiences: Audiences have a dedicated section in Business Manager where you can create lists of people most likely to like your brand or products. The section has several features that can help you build these lists.
- Create an ad campaign on Facebook: To create your first campaign, go to Ads Manager in your Business Manager account and click on the “Create” button and carefully select objectives for your campaign. The objectives should centre your audience, your budget, location and the ad content, video or image that users will see.
- Launch your ad and optimize your Facebook campaigns: Launching the ad to set up your Facebook campaign is an important first step, but in order to be successful, you need to learn how to track ad performance and optimize your campaign over time.
Setting up an Instagram advertising campaign requires careful thought such as figuring out your goal, target and budget. The following are the steps needed to create an ad on this channel:
- Select a publisher and create a campaign through a Facebook tool like Ad managers.
- Select your Ad objectives: To generate conversions, drive traffic to websites or to boost publications.
- Choose an audience: Be specific about your target audience description.
- Define the placement of advertisements: Decide if you will be linking it with Facebook
- Define a budget and a timetable: It could either be a daily budget or a campaign duration budget.
- Create the content: Inclusive of attractive images and an appealing video.
- Select a page and link: It could be your Facebook page and website
- Confirm the advertisement
- Monitor and report on performance
Before embarking on Twitter advertising, it is recommended to have a small audience, possibly several hundred followers and regular account activity. Posting ads on twitter requires the following steps:
- Set up your Twitter Ads account
- Select your Objectives: Twitter Ads Manager allows you to select your campaign objective such as stating if your intention is to direct people to your website or the number of people and amount of engagement you wish to see your sponsored tweets.
- Define your ad group and bid: This allows you to select how you want to set up your ads or use mutiple ads to target mutiple audiences but it is advisable that your first twitter ads campaign should be limited to one ad group and also a low price based budget.
- Choose your ad and location: Create a tweet specifically for your ad and choose the location for your advertisement.
- Target your audience: Be specific about your audience description.
- Launch your campaign: Once you are certain that all options have been entered correctly then you can launch the campaign.
YouTube allows from its interface to promote videos in order to reach a larger audience. To create a video ad, follow the steps below:
- Upload your video: This requires that you create a YouTube channel and also a Google adwords account. (Learn more about Google adwords here: Link). Once your channel is created, upload and select the video for the ad.
- Create your Google Ads and configure it with your YouTube account: This is to enable you create and manage your ads. YouTube video ads are coordinated by Google adwords and so it is essential that you link both accounts together.
- Launch and promote your ad: Google Ads enables promotion through different advertising formats.
- Configure your campaign: This allows you to select the objectives of your video campaign, choose your budget and auction type, determine your distribution network and target audience and also include a call to action.
- Analyze promotional campaign: This involves tracking your advert, audience, and interactions with your video as the campaign progresses. This will enable you to optimize your current and subsequent campaign.
To create marketing ads on LinkedIn, set up your business page and then:
- Log in to LinkedIn Campaign Manager to create your account and then create a campaign.
- Define the objective of your advertisement.
- Configure settings related to your target audience.
- Select the ad format you want to use. Most formats require your business name or a showcase page in order to continue.
- Enable the LinkedIn Audience Network feature if it is available.
- Set your budget
There are three most important forms of LinkedIn advertising and they are:
Sponsored Content: This involves promoting content that displays directly in your prospects’ news feed
Text Ads: This is promotion of content or a job offer which will be displayed on the side or on the waterline of the social network)
Sponsored In Mails: This enables sending a message directly to a contact’s inbox.
Deciding to engage in social media marketing concedes your business to leverage on the wisdom and experience of consumers. By offering value, customers are encouraged to recommend your service to friends and connections.
Also as an entrepreneur or marketer, you have the opportunity to get reviews or feedback from customers in the form of approvals, suggestions, and complaints.
Aside from this, you can choose to enlarge your coast by identifying with influencers or creating a virtual community for your loyal customers that can become brand ambassadors and thus assist in increasing recognition for your brand.
Besides, engaging in social media marketing is easily accessible and does not require much financial burden, except the cost of data or cost of engaging in paid campaigns. Aside from these two reasons, marketing on social media is totally free and simple. The two most important requirements are to personalize your brand and create engaging content that will attract potential clients.
At Deyo Digital, we understand the importance of social media marketing for your business which is why we are capable of helping you optimize your content with SEO keywords so as to enable your business to get recognized quicker and faster.