Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an important digital strategy for many businesses in Nigeria including small and medium enterprises (SMEs). SEO done well allows online searchers who input keywords related to your business to find you quickly. This happens when Google and other search engines rank your business website on their first pages.
Sounds pretty competitive, right? Read on.
What happens when potential customers struggle to find out about your business or when you do not show up on the first page of Google? You miss the opportunity to show your product or service offering to the thousands of online searchers every day. Starting your business without a good SEO strategy will cost you that much, which is why you need the best SEO tips for your businesses in Nigeria.
When you get it right, you’re on your way to increasing your brand awareness, website traffic, as well as profits. To achieve this, there are certain tips you need to follow. You might require the services of a b2b SEO agency. However, if you’re on a tight budget, this simple beginner’s guide for businesses in Nigeria will help you increase the chances of your website ranking on SERPs.
Get your businesses noticed online with these top 10 simple SEO tips:
10 Simple SEO Tips for Businesses In Nigeria
- Get Involved In An Extensive Keyword Research: Extensive? Yeah, that’s correct. First, keyword research means finding out the words or phrases potential customers type into search engines to look for your business or information relating to your business. Figuring out what your potential clients search for will help you create content that is useful to them.
Now, here’s why it should be extensive: Targeting and using the same keywords that your existing big competitors already ranked for won’t get you anywhere. Yes, you got that right. And this is because they are already established and have more online coverage in your business. As such, every business will strive to rank for the same keyword. So, what do you do?
One of the most important top SEO tips for SMEs is focusing on a specific niche keyword to bring in specific target customers.
See this explanation: If you sell kids’ clothes in Lagos, you could use the keyword phrase Purchase Kiddies’ Clothes. Being more specific with Kiddies’ Clothes Lagos will streamline your range of potential clients. However, you will get better outcomes because your competition is low.
Using SEO keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner, Google AdWords, Google Search Console, Ahref, SEOMoz; will help spot the gaps left by your competitors in the business.
Also, monitoring and updating keywords will help you stay in the game because what people search for differs from time to time. Check out our post on How to do keyword research to know more about keyword researching.
- Content Marketing: Content marketing is another SEO tip for businesses in Nigeria. Content marketing simply means creating well-structured, useful and engaging information centered on a particular topic. You can do that either by having a well-structured and detailed content development strategy. Or you just write randomly, without structure and organization which can be very confusing to potential clients.
To achieve the former, you can use a hub and spoke content marketing strategy. This helps you to break down your main topic (the hub) into manageable subtopics (the spokes). This content strategy helps you establish the relationships between several related contents, cover a wide topic, and teach your readers an entire topic. This means creating a landing page centered on the hub and linking back to the page through the “spokes contents”. More like a tree (hub) leading to several branches (the spokes). Do you get it?
One more thing you should take note of is keeping your content fresh. Keep your website updated with fresh SEO content strategy. Google and other search engines choose new contents to share with searchers over a dated one. Consistently write new topics that are relevant to your products/services.
In addition, when your content is engaging and interesting, it gets readers excited about your product or service, and you can be sure they will keep on coming. With this, you’re driving traffic to your site organically.
- Link Building: This is an all-time SEO tip for businesses in Nigeria. Two types of links exist. They are Internal links (links to content within your website), and External links (links to content outside your website). Search engine result pages (SERPs) rank websites with quality links because it shows how relevant its contents are. Teaming up with other sites, especially high authority sites, and having them link to your site is a good way to drive traffic to your website fast. Although this may require you to pay or exchange values for the offer, you’re sure to get what you want.
- Utilize Local Search Engine Optimization: Focusing on local SEO is one of the best SEO deals for businesses in Nigeria. Local SEO strategy involve focusing on your immediate surroundings to market your business online. Almost 1/3 of all mobile queries are location-based. Many searchers prefer to find products or services in their locality online.
For example, a nearby restaurant or a nearby Express delivery post can utilize local search rankings among your SEO tips for small business by including a local keyword phrase such as: “Restaurants in Ikeja, Lagos”, and “Local Delivery Post in Lagos, Nigeria”
Here are some interesting facts to note:
- 64% of local customers use search engines and directories to find local businesses
- 71% of people say they look up and confirm the location of a business before going to it for the first time.
- 78% of local-mobile searches result in offline purchases.
- 72% of customers who did a local search visited a store within five miles
Google and other search engines encourage and give preference to businesses in Nigeria with local options as they meet the searcher’s need more accurately and precisely.
Briefly, let’s get you started on how to use local SEO for your businesses in Nigeria.
5. Claim and optimize your Google My Business (GMB) Profile: The profile or listing appears when a potential customer searches for your company’s information. So, ensure you fill out your:
- Name, address, and phone number; “NAP”
- Hours of operation
- Categories and Label
- Customer Review
- Popular Times
- Company Logo
- Fill out local directories listings from Yelp, TripAdvisor, Yellow Pages as they would help your businesses increase online presence.
- Respond to customer reviews as they come in. Do well to start conversations with your potential clients.
- Proactively answer questions that might come up.
Now, you have no reason not to utilize a local SEO strategy for your businesses with this information.
Other SEO Strategies are:
6. Focus on Technical SEO: Among the top 10 tips for businesses in Nigeria is technical SEO. Technical SEO involves fixing all technical issues relating to your site. Technical SEO is the process of optimizing the structure of your website pages (server and website optimizations) so that search engine crawlers can easily “read” and index your website so you can achieve a high organic ranking in search engine result pages.
Having great optimized SEO content with the help of the best SEO keyword research tools isn’t enough. The quality of your content from a technical perspective is very important as the content itself.
To know about how to boost your technical SEO audit, check out our post on How to Perform an SEO Audit. This post contains a detailed practical step of boosting your Technical SEO audit.
7. Optimize your On-page SEO: On-page SEO has to do with the keywords on the page of your website. You must structure your posts so you are easily found.
Take note of the following:
- Optimize Headlines: Your headline should be captivating and precise, with about 60 characters. If your headline is too long, it will be cut off, leaving your readers wondering what your page is all about. When you succeed in getting readers to click your headline, it increases your click-through rate, an important determinant for Google ranking.
- Take Advantage of Header Tags: Headers that contain relevant keywords can earn you a prospect.
- Optimize meta tags: Search crawlers make use of meta tags to find out if the description of your tags matches your content. Using relevant keywords helps search crawlers locate you easily.
- Make Use of Hyperlinks: Turning your keywords or phrases into hyperlinks is another important SEO tip for businesses in Nigeria. This is because search engines use hyperlinks to determine how relevant your website is in providing adequate information about a subject to a searcher. These links can lead to another part of your website.
8. Take Advantage of Top “X” Lists: Here is yet another proven and simple SEO tip for businesses in Nigeria. Top “X” lists are a great way of catching readers’ attention. People get drawn to extreme things and do not want to miss out on topics capable of getting them informed ahead of others. Also try out catchy words like ”Learn why”, “Will Amaze You”, “Will Inspire You”, “Best Deals….”, “Most Amazing…..”, “Get Exclusive”, Proven “10” Ways to Succeed at…”, “The World’s Craziest (Biggest)…., “Tell us ….”, “New Blog Post” as they all suggest extremes which many people find fascinating.
9. Optimize Images: One of the best ways to get potential customer’s attention as an SMEs is to use pictures that are relevant to the subject or topic. Also, the caption is a smart place to slip in another keyword. In that case, if a potential customer does an image search for a keyword, they are likely to get into your site. Also, you should use the “alt text” section to describe the image.
10. Optimize UX: UX means user’s experience. Your SEO ranking largely depends on your user’s experience. Your site speed, mobile-friendly sites are all very important to drive traffic to your website. Using tools like Google’s Page speed Insights will help you learn about how users view your site.
With all being said, ignoring these simple basic SEO tips for businesses in Nigeria may cause your SMEs to be invisible on SERPs.
Start with these simple beginners’ SEO tips for businesses in Nigeria today and see how well your SMEs will rank on search engine result pages.